Originally Posted by CashisKing
A friend of mine bid a deck rebuild job at $11,000.

He will remove and replace the wearing surface (deck that you walk on) and handrails and pickets (1,016 SF).

Materials will cost about $2,800. This leaves $8,200 for his labor. He will do the job in three days. This comes out to $2,733 per day.

Do you consider $2,733 a day to be a fair wage for skilled blue collar worker?

Your opinion please... Thanks

Three hard days of work. Transport costs. Insurance both medical and unemployment. Incidental costs like tools that have-to-be depreciated over time, truck insurance, disposal fees.

Also, labor is expensive these days ... especially skilled labor.

But that materials cost you posted. My wife and I literally just did 1000 sf deck off the back of our home this past April and materials were well above $2,800.00. Our materials (joists, 4x4s and 4x6s, pickets, handrails, decking, deck paint and rail paint, deck screws, nails for the substructure assembly, concrete, skid tape on the steps, ) ran us $5,200.00+.

Also, I'll add this fwiw. Demolition of the 30 year old deck we replaced was the hard part imho.

Also, did he price natural planking for the deck, or composite?

At any rate the price reads reasonable to me given what we went through building ours.

Are you going to go with the existing substructure or all new posts and joists and faceboards and everything from the ground-up? Is the deck a long rectangular layout or a square? It makes a difference in costs and skill level. Is it attached to your home or an island unto itself?

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.