Originally Posted by GF1
I do think some folks get a bit too enamored of getting the absolute best in resolution, sometimes at the expense of absolute reliability. A scope is a sight, and I am just fine with the resolution of ordinary and mid priced scopes if reliability is there.

I am also a fan of Nightforce compact scopes, particularly the now discontinued NXS 2.5-10x32. Scopes like the top end Swarovskis, etc., definitely have better resolution, but I’ve yet to see or hear of a Nightforce failure, for example.

That said, I am a terrific believer in the highest possible resolution in other hunting glass, such as binoculars and spotting scopes. That is what I use to find game. A rifle scope is an aiming device. I am also sure there are many folks who want and need high end glass for very long range shooting and hunting. My caveat is that my shots are no further than 500 yards.

Good post. I have had a Swarovski Habicht 3-9x36 and like one of the other posters, mine lost zero and failed to track. In the back of my mind, I always felt it was a waste of my hard earned money. The only other scope I can say that about was a 4-16X50 Trijicon. The glass in that scope was horrible, but it did track well. One reason I buy cheap Burris FFII 3-9x40's with the ballistic plex reticle for hunting is because it does a damn fine job. The glass isn't Swaro good, but they are a very useable no nonsense scope. Set the zero and then use the reticle for further shots. If one fails, send it back and they will send you a new one or fix your old one. I've had to do that twice now, in the last 24 years, and they were both American made FFII's. The glass is good enough for any sane shots on a big game animal. But since the op is asking about eye relief and mounting his scope on a Ruger, it will work. Use it and enjoy it. Chances are it's going to last a long time, but don't be surprised if it pukes on you eventually...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here's one mounted on a long action model 70. The nice thing is the tube mounting length is quite forgiving and tends to work well on a long action..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA