Originally Posted by GF1
I do think some folks get a bit too enamored of getting the absolute best in resolution, sometimes at the expense of absolute reliability. A scope is a sight, and I am just fine with the resolution of ordinary and mid priced scopes if reliability is there.

I am also a fan of Nightforce compact scopes, particularly the now discontinued NXS 2.5-10x32. Scopes like the top end Swarovskis, etc., definitely have better resolution, but I’ve yet to see or hear of a Nightforce failure, for example.

That said, I am a terrific believer in the highest possible resolution in other hunting glass, such as binoculars and spotting scopes. That is what I use to find game. A rifle scope is an aiming device. I am also sure there are many folks who want and need high end glass for very long range shooting and hunting. My caveat is that my shots are no further than 500 yards.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Glass these days, once you’ve spent $500 or so, is inconsequential to the average shooter or hunter. It’s reliability that matters. I made this same statement in a thread a couple weeks ago and got completely flamed for it.

It’s marketing’s fault. For decades we’ve been trained to think that what matters in a riflescope is glass clarity. There’s still some duped holdouts on here!