Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I don't think we are killing enough wolves
The trouble is, you don't just run out and kill a wolf. They're very hard to come by. Very few are taken by hunters primarily after deer or elk. In Idaho, you can buy an unlimited number of wolf tags and the price is very low, $11 for residents, yet the wolf numbers are growing. More are taken by trappers but there are too few trappers to thin them out.

Trapping/snaring is the only effective way to take them (well actually, helicopters are the best way followed by a Super Cub or Husky). Even setting up and calling them has limited results. They don't charge in like starving coyotes. Me and a bud set up a stand with an e-caller on what was a perfect night, clear, cold and moonlit with snow on the ground (AKPEN). We went through the range of howling and prey sounds without an answer. Then we started doing coyote sounds and them bastids come unglued. For about 40 minutes while exchanging insults with them, they sounded like junkyard dogs howling punctuated with barks which I've never heard heard before or since. When all this started they were about 2 miles out and we brought them into about 3/4s of a mile. They never would come in any closer.

A few years ago in the next village over, this kid smoked a schitt ton of wolves. They were following a small caribou herd and he and he was sniping them off from the edges. The caribou hung around for quite awhile giving him ample opportunities over several days to take shots at them.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z