Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have heard of a very select few houndsman purposefully setting loose on western wolves. I do not know how successful they have been. Wolves and especially wolf packs there are a death sentence to lion/bear hounds out there. I have been along when 5 or so were killed by wolves and don’t believe I know of a single houndsman who hasn’t lost at least a couple hounds. I am guessing it is a wolf size thing???

Here is an observation that fellow hunters share with me when using trailing hounds. Wolves seem to be attracted to barking or baying hounds when pursing other game such as bears, coyotes or bobcats, but turn and run if hounds are trailing them. We have seen this happen after the hounds are put on a single wolf track and that wolf merges with other wolves. The pack will run a ways then split up leaving the hounds on the original wolf or hounds will trail a different one. My nephew and I witnessed this while posted up. He filled his tag as five wolves came loping by with a pack of hounds about 50 yards behind.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime