I got tired of archery early in HS. Mostly due to the bows of the day being big heavy magnesium and fiberglass beasts that were expensive and weighed a ton. I didn’t have the money to upgrade when I’d outgrown my bow since I’d have been looking at not only a bow but sights, rest, release and all that other stuff.

My best friend came to show me his new bow and said that I should give it a try. He’d been hanging around with some guys who attended the Macalister rendezvous every year and had picked up a recurve. I shot it a little and kinda liked it so had my dad take me to the city so I could spend some plowing money on a new Martin recurve.

I immediately loved the simplicity. Ended up even deciding I liked the extra challenge of hunting off the ground. It all seems so much more raw and real to me. I’ve still not shot a deer with any other type of archery tackle, nor from a stand though I do have one I hunted out of last winter. I don’t see myself ever going to modern archery, just isn’t something that interests me.