Originally Posted by TheKid
I got tired of archery early in HS. Mostly due to the bows of the day being big heavy magnesium and fiberglass beasts that were expensive and weighed a ton. I didn’t have the money to upgrade when I’d outgrown my bow since I’d have been looking at not only a bow but sights, rest, release and all that other stuff.

My best friend came to show me his new bow and said that I should give it a try. He’d been hanging around with some guys who attended the Macalister rendezvous every year and had picked up a recurve. I shot it a little and kinda liked it so had my dad take me to the city so I could spend some plowing money on a new Martin recurve.

I immediately loved the simplicity. Ended up even deciding I liked the extra challenge of hunting off the ground. It all seems so much more raw and real to me. I’ve still not shot a deer with any other type of archery tackle, nor from a stand though I do have one I hunted out of last winter. I don’t see myself ever going to modern archery, just isn’t something that interests me.
This is where I am starting to get.

Hunted 1 season with a Howatt Hunter, missed a coyote on the first morning and never had any other shot opportunities.

Looking into a new take down. Get back into the trad game, simple and more of a challenge.

As for ground hunting, I gave kilt a few deer with a compound from the ground. Uncle has been a bow hunter for 45sh years and has never killed a deer with a bow from the ground, seems amazed I have done it.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/29/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!