I haven't read all of the 7 pages and didn't see what cartridge the OP is using now, but I see his solution to be one of more practice and possibly a new scope.

For the past 45 or so years I've gone to our gun range at least one evening a week throught the year to first shoot Trap and then in the last 25 years to shoot Skeet. Along with our Trap and Skeet fields our range has target boards in front of berms at 100 yard intervals from 100 yds out to 430 yards.

For many years I was like a lot of hunters where my rifle would sit in my gun safe most of the year and I would only bring it out a week or so before deer and elk season to check it's zero, then I would shoot my deer and elk and put it back in the safe until the next year.

About 10 or so years ago we began hanging steel gongs at each of the berms on our rifle range. So with the gongs available, I would do my annual "check the zero" of my hunting rifle then I would try a few shots at the gongs. Shooting at steel gongs is much more fun than shooting paper, so about 6 years ago I began bringing one of my hunting rifles with me on my weekly trips to the range, and shoot at the gongs with it. My .300 Weatherby smacks the 430 yard gong with authority, but that is not the best rifle for plinking.

I then bought a Weatherby Vanguard chambered in .223 Rem mainly for a gong plinking rifle. It's fun and econimical to shoot, but with any wind and with ear muffs on, its hard to tell the hits on the 430 yd gong. so I bought another Vanguard chambered in .308 Win. Shells for that rifle only cost about twice as much as the .223s but it smacks the longer range gongs much louder. I now take both of these rifle with me to the range every week and shoot at least 3 shots, prone, with each rifle at each of the gongs out to 430 yards.

Most of our gongs are 15" in diameter, but we also have a 9" gong at 200 yards. After a year or so of this practice I quit shooting at the 100 yard gong and starting my shooting sessions with the 200 yard gong. Again after more practice, I now start my practice with the 9" 200 yard gong, and, if I read the wind right, I expect all of my shots to hit all of the gongs, including the 430 yard gong. Practice, practice, practice.

I have Leupold scopes with their CDS turrets on 5 of my rifles. I had Leupold make a custom turret for my hunting load for my .300 Weatherby, but for my other scopes I just verified the yardage impacts at each distance and painted a fine white line on the top of the turret for each 100 yard distance: 100, 200, 300, and 430 yards. So now I just set the turret line to each distance and ring the gong.

Two of my scopes are the Leupold Freedom models, and they are just as accurate and reliable as the VX 3i models that I have on my other rifles.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member