Originally Posted by BC30cal
I try to not cuss too, too much as a matter of course and especially in front of my wife, so as he began to go I muttered harshly, "Shoot, shoot, shoot, the bugger's running" which was answered with a loud crack from her .308 carbine.

Up to that point in her hunting she preferred to shoot standing bucks and I turned and said, "Hey good shooting Tex, I thought you didn't shoot running bucks though?"

Of course she looks at me and replies, "Why then did you say, "Shoot, shoot, shoot?""..Dwayne

"Well I sorta meant Sh..t, sh..t, sh..t" says I, "but I wasn't going to cuss and.."

"Well Dwayne, how about next time then you just say sh..t, sh...t, sh...t if that's what you mean? Especially if I'm aiming at something!"

Hi Dwayne,

We're both glad you liked Eileen's story!

I would like to pass along a sort-of-similar story about Elmer Keith. I have talked to more than one of the editors who worked on Elmer's manuscripts, which were pounded out on a manual typewriter. He was not the best typist in the world, and according to more than one of those guys, when he meant to type "shot" he often hit the "i" key, which on typewriter and computer keyboards is right next to the "o" key. This often changed the meaning of the sentence considerably. Imagine this one, for instance, with an i instead of an o:

"The shot landed exactly where aimed."

Hope you are all doing well in your beautiful, Montana-neighbor province!

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck