I was going to go out today with my caller, but ended up grabbing my .22 for some squirrels instead. When I got to where I hunt, the old black man that lives in a house near the forest road entrance was outside weed wacking. I walked over and talked to him for awhile. I asked him about coyotes in the area, and whether he's seen or heard any. He hasn't seen any this summer, but sees them in winter in the corn field that is on the opposite side of the main road. So that's encouraging.

I checked the portion of the forest service road where I've seen coyote tracks in the past, but its rock hard right now. That's about the only stretch of the roads back there that aren't covered in chest high weeds. We haven't had any significant rain in about a month. Most parts of the roads are chest high in weeds and black berries. I don't know that I would have been able to see a coyote coming down one of the roads, anyways.

It was friggin hot this morning. It was 90 by noon. Humidity was sky high. The flies were thick and there were spider webs in the woods every couple of yards. All of them had those black and white spiders with pointed bodies in the center of them. Big black ants were all in the leaves wherever I sat so I sprayed the ground around me, and the trees I leaned against, with deep woods off. Didn't get bothered by the ants, and no ticks again.

Premature mast is starting to fall, small acorns and hickory nuts, as are some leaves, because its so damed dry. I startled one fawn lying in the road in the weeds. Otherwise, nothing was strirring, except crows, and one king fisher that was diving in the swamp pond. No squirrel working the tree tops, or on the ground. I quit around noon. Just too blasted hot for me. No fun hunting when sweat is running into my eyes. By the time I got back to my truck I was soaked. Glad I brought a change of cloths.

I will say the weeds in the roadways are pretty. All of it is blooming and swarming with bees. Goldenrod, wild Golden Ragwort, wild Geranium, all manner of mushrooms. The bees and anything that eat flower pedals are eating well right now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/05/22.