Originally Posted by plumbum
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Picked up an early 70s Remington 700 with an old Bushnell Banner scope. Of course, I was removing that scope for something better. The mounts have a hinge on one side and friction clip for the other side. I had heard of these mounts but always thought they were a gimmick like the see-through mounts of the same time period. Did they actually work?

Pivot mounts. Because scopes were that unreliable, at the time.
Actually, thats not an accurate statement.
My first year deer hunting was in 1947 in NC PA.
Scopes were very rare on hunting rifles, most of which were 94 Winchesters, 99 Savages, and pump Remington 14s and 141s. Also some military bolt guns like old 3040 Kraigs, Springfields and 98 mauser war relics.
In the early 50s scopes were becoming more popular with Weaver being the most popular by far.
Back then most deer hunters actually walked the woods, rather than sit in stands.
Those that preferred sitting were called pot hunters.
Many formed groups and performed drives, driving out thick laurel patches you could hardly walk thru. Snow meant that if you happened to shake a bush or small tree gobs of the stuff came down all over both you and your gun. That of coarse made the scopes hard to look thru, so that was a major reason so many preferred being able to use the iorn sights as well.
There were also some very good detachable scope mounts, which allowed for easy removing and reinstalling the scope. Over the years i personally used pretty much every type, and had good luck with all of them. I still have a see thru mount on a 12 gauge 222 combination using a low power Leupold scope.
So my suggestion would be to not knock it till youve actually tried it yourself.
Especially on snowy days when your walking on a steep sidehill and hanging onto small trees to keep from falling.
But then were all too smart to hunt like that anymore arent we. lol