I too spent the first half of my adult life hunting out of an old camp in north central PA and it was a safe bet that over half of the rifles in camp would have either pivot mounts or see-through mounts - the usual mix of 760's, Savages, Marlins. Scope of choice: invariably a Weaver K-something or other. The 94's were never scoped and the old birds who carried them were more likely than not the ones who hogged space on the meat pole with dead deer. While in college, I campaigned a 700BDL .243 with a K6 and I was kind of the odd-man-out, until I stumbled onto a pre-war style custom '03 Springfield with a Griffin&Howe QD sidemount supporting a Lyman Alaskan, with Lyman 48 as "backup" - then I really was the "odd-man-out". Looking back I was probably the only guy who viewed his rifle as something more than a tool, a means to an end. I had strayed from the precepts of "hunting" into the realm of reliance on technology as a substitute for skill, and it showed in my success rate which never matched the grizzled old timers in the camp who had been ghosting through those woods since the 1920's-30's carrying .30-30 Winchesters with iron sights.

A lot of water under the bridge since those days 50 years ago, and I sometimes wonder how far I (we) have come....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty