Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Started my son with a 20 ga Rem 1100 with youth stock. Now it has std wood and still in use.

Gas guns kick less. The 20 ga. 1100 is pretty light. I still think this was about ideal. Swap wood when they grow up.

DF
Follow up on this gun.

My New Orleans tax lawyer son-in-law has never shot a gun, doesn't own one. He was invited to a big Mississippi dove hunt by a high end client.

He and family were visiting Labor Day weekend. I took him behind the house, set up my electric clay thrower and we shot clay targets over the pond. He did fair, has a ways to go. He was told there will be a LOT of doves at the upcoming hunt, so maybe he can knock down a few. At least he shouldn't be too embarrassed.

I told him to just take the gun, put it on a top shelf in his bedroom away from his kids. I showed him how to put two rounds in the mag, empty chamber and how to shuck a shell in the chamber if he needs to protect his home. I told him those dove loads (gave him 6 boxes) would be perfect for in home defense, as bird shot is lethal at close range, but doesn't go thru walls like heavier shot. I feel better with him having at least one shotgun in his house, living in the N.O. area. Although they actually live in Old Metairie, things can happen there, too.

I showed him the youth stock that I still have and how I can quickly change that gun back to youth configuration if my 6 yr old grandson ever wants to learn to shoot it. So, that gun could become a generational thing.

Years ago, I loaned it to my business partner to start his son with it. It was at his camp on the Red River when it was stolen by natives. The sheriff recovered it and that boy is now a jet pilot and top notch sheet shooter. If fact, he out shoots his dad with clays, but put feathers on a bird, the old man is hard to beat. He's a Cajun and knows how to cook those birds, doesn't have much use for clays.

So, this gun's been around and looks like it's still going places.

DF