Originally Posted by himmelrr
Dang it. No 338 Fed. Oh well, it is the only one in my gun safe that is not covered. I am still buying the book though.

Can provide you some .338 Federal loads--and in fact published seven in the first BIG BOOK OF GUN GACK, in the chapter titled "Kinder, Gentler .338s."

But didn't include the cartridge in this book for two reasons. First, I've only handloaded for one .338 Federal rifle--and didn't get much feedback from other hunter/handloaders on the results. This book is based on loads that work in more than one rifle.

This lack of feedback also suggests that the .338 Federal isn't very popular, and may even be dying--or dead. My take on the round was that it duplicated the muzzle velocities of the .30-06 with similar-weight bullets--but didn't shoot as flat at longer ranges.

I also never could see any difference in "killing power" between it and the .30-06, despite the slightly larger diameter of .33-caliber bullets (which is basically equal to wrapping a .30 caliber bullet in a typical business card). But that's also because the longer I hunt big game, the less difference in "killing power" I see in most cartridges, unless the bullets are a LOT different in both diameter and weight.

No doubt this will result in some disagreement....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck