Almost all of the checkered 1895's we see have one checkering pattern, which isn't this one. The common pattern is the one below. A couple very high grade 1895's have a fancier pattern.

But with this buttstock checkering style now being found on two 1895's, David's and Gene's, and the front curve matching a Marlin practice.. I agree with Gene, it seems to be a Marlin style. David's forearm being so odd made his rifle seem likely to be aftermarket. Now one has to wonder about whether his odd forearm is original or changed. grin

I don't think this is the catalogued checkering in the 1895 catalog which adds $9.50/$10.50 (fancy wood costs more) to the price.
The 1897 catalog has the same checkering but $1 cheaper, for $8.50/$10 (fancy wood costs more). But the 1897 catalog also has an "Checking on ordinary stocks" for $6. Didn't remember this at the Fest, but I'd wondered at what it could be in the past.

I'm guessing this is the 1897 $6 "Checking on ordinary stocks". Talk about rare!

Nice find, Gene!

Here's the normal 1895 checkering that's seen on 1895's, the $10'ish one I'm guessing.
[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com