Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
I agree 100% with Musk. We should get 100% of our base load from nuclear power. People wring their hands about nuclear power but ignore the environmental costs of all other forms of electricity production. A modern nuclear plant is to an old 50’s-60’s nuclear plant as a model T ford is to a brand new 2022 car. A modern nuclear power plant is extremely safe and clean. I lived just a few miles from a coal fired plant for a few years and the ash falling on my truck was heck on the paint. I wonder what else the ash was hurting ? I’m not a anthropomorphic climate change believer but pollution is a real problem and nuclear power is the cleanest and most reliable power source available. We mine the least , transport the least , have the highest reliability with nuclear power.
As for electric cars I think they’re an unworkable substitute for petroleum powered vehicles.

There still is no safe way to store used rods used in the reactors

We've been storing them safely for fifty or sixty years now. Zero impact on human health or the environment. The total volume encompassed by all the spent fuel ever generated is so inconsequential you have to wonder why people aren't embarrassed to complain about it.