Originally Posted by RIO7
Glock, For every Coyote you see there 10 more you don't see, but they all leave tracks and scat, I am not familiar with your hunting country, no matter i am sure you have heard Hunt the Wind, you might also want to keep the sun at your back if you can, if your using a E- Caller? start out soft and take your time. you have to be where the Coyotes are or they have to be where you are, sit still, if you need to move do it in slow motion, if your in heavy cover bring a shotgun, #4 buck works well for me.
Good Luck Rio7

Thank you. That's useful advice. I appreciate it. (And I appreciate Yoder's advice, too.) As I stated, I have never set out to specifically hunt coyotes before and know of no one to personally teach me what to do. All my encounters were accidental when I simply saw them, or they came into a squirrel or turkey call. So actual tips from someone who does hunt them are appreciated.

Our cover here is very heavy, exceptionally heavy right now. Parts of eastern Virginia can make a jungle look like an open savannah. So next time I'll be using my shotgun. Based on your advice, I did pick up some #4 buck during my ammo run today. Given the size of some of the coyotes seen around here, I'd feel more comfortable using #4 buck than BBs. My shotgun I use for turkey and heavy 00 buck will no doubt pattern it well. And given that we have to use shotguns in these parts for deer, shooting buckshot at moving deer is something I am very acquainted with.

Coyotes in the woods can be like ghosts. First time I saw them hunting squirrels and turkeys back in the late 80s, when no one really knew coyotes had take up residence in the eastern part of our state, you could see a coyote slinking through the trees in the distance, only getting glimpses. Other times, they will dart across a path or road so fast that you can only see them for a second or two. Just enough to know what you're seeing. So I'd definitely feel more confident hunting with a shotgun under conditions like this.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/17/22.