Originally Posted by RIO7
Glock, I'm not a Turkey hunter, but we are covered up with Rio Grande Turkey's here they are a pest they Chitt all over my porch and walk way's.
Rio7

Okay, that made me LOL.

Nice coyotes. Looks like they breed like rats. I read somewhere that 60% percent have to die per year to stalbize their population growth. And that they can recoup their population loss in a single year.

Our state forests here are broken up into sizable tracts. This particular tract where I shot that video is one where I deer hunt and sometimes hunt turkey. I have never seen a coyote on this tract, but saw one once crossing the road leading into this forest area. And I have seen lots of tracks and scat on the trails within this tract. I know they are there. And the different sized tracks suggest more than one. It make sense. I also hunt a separate state forest a little south of here where I have seen coyotes while hunting. And I talked to a man who lives nearby who sees them in his cornfields in the winter. This particular county changed it ordinance within the last year or so to allow centerfire rifles for coyotes due to complaints from chicken farmer loosing stock to coyotoes. They are here.

I just don't know any predator hunters. It's just not a big thing around here. Farmers shoot them, but I know no one that actually goes out to hunt them. I guess its done some places, but it's not a big thing here in eastern Va. So I am feeling my way into it. What I know about it is what I've read. That's it. And it may not appeal to me. Yesterday, I was thinking the whole time that I could have been hunting squirrels instead of wasting my time doing this. So I may not stick to it. When it comes to hunting, there are other things I'd rather be hunting.

As far as the tacks looking like dogs. I suspect they will continue to do so. Our DWR bandies this quote when talking about Viirginia's coyotes, "According to Monzón's research, about 64% of the eastern coyote's genome is coyote (Canis latrans), 13% gray wolf (Canis lupus), 13% Eastern wolf (Canis lycaon), and 10% dog (Canis familiaris)." In NC, I have seen a steady decline in Red Wolf sightings. The area I hike a lot had 120 Red Wolves a few years ago. They are down to 20 now and they are breeding with Coyotes. Pretty soon, there won't been any Red Wolves left. Red Wolves are already something like 20% coyote. Once they breed with a coyote, the offspring is more coyote than wolf.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/17/22.