Yeah, maybe best in the predator forum, but coyotes are turkey killers and crows are egg raiders.

Went to the range yesterday to work up a lead load for my Hawken rifle. I had today off, too, and was going to go squirrel hunting. But decided to go up to the state forest and see if I could get a coyote to come in. I got there about 6:30 AM. The woods are still thick, full foilage, and the weeds on the trail leading into the area are still thick and chest high. Wouldn't be able to a see a deer crossing those trails, much less a coyote. There are a few trails that are more open giving decent visiblity for a good distance in either direction. I set up on one of these trails looking due south. Breeze going west to east. Took my .270, mainly because I have scarcely hunted with it and because centerfires are legal here for coyotes, though 75-100 yard max would have been possible. This is the view looking due south. Call is about 60 yard down the trail facing south. Directly to the call's right is a trail leading deeper into the clear cut where there were coyote tracts. About 35 yards past the call, around the bend, is a, intersection with a trail leading out of the area, another down to the bottomlands, and some straight ahead that leads into the pine thicket.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Saw several sets of tracks on this trail, some very clear and recent.

Used a cottontail in distress call, since there are a lot of cottontails and raptors here. Started off at low volume. Worked up the volume over a couple of hours. Did not see any coyotes or foxes.

Before I moved to a different location, I did try the preloaded Crow Distress and Barred Owl call. Bejeezus. The crows went nuts. A Coopers Hawk flew in first and sat in a tree overlooking the call. Then the crows came. I should have brought my shotgun and a bunch of shells.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/16/22.