I have a great interest in the Winchester Model 54 and its rival the Remington Model 30. Winchester having done everything right in era 'up to date' status, listening to sportsmen. And then... Remington dropping the ball. Winchester over 11 year Model 54 life producing over 50K as Remington over a 19 year life producing "officially" (ignoring serialization fantasies) some 22K Model 30 rifles!

There were a variety of Model 54 styles available. Where any such specimens are now???. Beyond photos, I've only seen a handful of 'other than' the several common editions in six decades of collecting. Folowing just some comments.

The "Standard Model 54" came in two principal editions each reflecting early and latter era configurations of wood and of barrels. The wood, a European-esque schnabel forend model from product inception in 1925 into early thirties. Then the stock morphing to the so-called "NRA Style", so named by such NRA official pundits as Townsend Whelen et al, with complaints concerning the ergonomics of that early stock - and rightly so. Cool looking, but 'ouch'! in firing. The NRA stock far more like the Winchester Model 70 "Standard" stock which seemed to copy that latter Model 54.
Then the barrel reconfiguration principally of the front sight morphing from the early style more post-like to a svelte ramp integral with the barrel. Adding of impoetance, barrel material. Early confituration of Nickel Steel.
Latter of "Winchester Proof Steel", essentially high quality spec 5140 chrome moly.
(The aside as notably the Winchester Model 94 paralleling moving from post to integral ramp in the same timeframe!)

Then something of a wild card Model 54 departure with a variation in the early stock era was a carbine model more than a bit unique. Probably one of the few rifles in the world where a single chambering engendered a modified receiver design especially for the rimmed 30 WCF chambering. It included a "finger grasping grooovec forstock and carbine length (early model nickel steel) barrel. Unique and 'hoot to shoot'! This was the ONLY Model 54 receiver without bridge located clip loading slot.

The Model 54 is far more likely to be found without aftermarket "extra sight holes and less likely with aftermarket pads! The reason in respect of sight, there were far fewer telescopic sights in general use during its years. Pads were both less common - more exotic - and the principal chanberings didn't include any heavy recoiling magnum chamberings. The aftermarket pad specimens also often have completely worn out and crumbling pads. Just the appearance often makes the rifles available at 'truck gun' prices.

Considering the Model 54 was mainstream production and a damned good rifle design itself, the Model 70 came along in 1936 and simply overshadowed the Model 54 considerably. The 'good gun' 54 compared to the 'great gun' Model 70. It expanding the chrome moly fabrication metal to include action and bolt. Few rifles of any era less than some "customs" include such materials!

The Model 54 featured a fixed stamped steel bottom metal configuration. Noting in this Thread a Model 70 target stock adapted to the Model 54, likely requiring either adapting Model 70 botom metal of a jury-rigged excess inletting solution!

Below, for viewing pleasure. Mod 54: Supergrade in "30 Gov't 06" & in "30 WCF" Carbines. Not shown mine also mentioned above in 7x57 both later and earlier configurations. No Carbine! (Darn!) smile

A pitch for David Bichrest's book "Winchester Model 54 Bolt Action Rifle 1925 -1936". One of a kind in any complete tretise on the Model 54. David was selling them direct for, as I recall about $70.

All here... My take! smile
Best!
John

Attached Images
Model 54 SupGr.jpg (26.28 KB, 284 downloads)
Model 54 SupGrd .jpg (29.63 KB, 282 downloads)
Mod 54 Carbine.jpg (23.76 KB, 284 downloads)
Model 54 30 WCF Action.jpg (18.82 KB, 284 downloads)