I first began paying attention to the Model 54 due to its longstanding "also ran" pricing compared to the Model 70. Yes, the 70 was factually a better rifle, but much of which was more like desireable 'optional equipment on many modern vehicles. A major change was the "low scope bolt" accommodation. The entire Model 54 production and Model 70 production to about 48, were similarly not drilled for scope use. A removable floorplate did distinguish the Model 70. A superior trigger was also a 70 feature. Beyond, the matter of ''functionally' they were similar and notably so as Model 70 Standard stock and barrel assembly mimicking the latter Model 54 production. In gun shops and shows, most Models 54 languished but for uncommon chamberings! I was occasionally buying 54 rifrles as price point targets of opportunity! They were, sporting. They were lightweight. They were functional and comfortable at least in their NRA srock style latter production configuration. The early edition, nore European nifty era styling, simply not ergonomic.

By seventies and eighties era, I was picking up nice specimens for a couple of hundred dollars average. By then the milsurp sporter market was at a low and these rifles about the same prices as nicer such milsurps. Carbines less common but similar prices. Again, the less common chamberings, more costly but most of them as rarely encountered in shops or shows.

To my mind the Model 54 has yet retained a permanent status of 'also ran'. Some clicks more toward "collectible" but other than the stratospheric prices of the Internet brokerage houses, remaining 'relative' bargains as the "pre '64 Model 70 has long achieved reverence!

A 'post' note abou the Lyman 48 as "factory available" from early 54 production and popular. Many to be found on Model 54 rifles and Model 70 rifles predominantly until postwar as scopes movign from uncommon to prevalent. The 48 as, my opinion, the 'Cadillac' of its genre. The only material downside to these as on the 54 or 70, almost surely a large stock inletting divot. Removing plans not to play well in terms of reality unless restocking. A last, 3rd edition of the Lyman 48 as "scalloped" slide assembly to accommodate a "no inletting" feature. These sights considerably after the Model 54 and into the Model 70 production era. The can be utilized "post" factory. My deluxe stocked pre '64 Model 70 Supergrade in .338 Mag, with such model and believing it likely factory!

Hail to and long live the Model 54, a great rifle of itself!

Below pix of my latter era 54 in 7x57. And for the 7mm lover... This one's for you Kid! smile

Best!
John

Attached Images
R443-1.jpg (18.58 KB, 234 downloads)
R443-3.jpg (16.22 KB, 234 downloads)
R443-10.jpg (14.22 KB, 232 downloads)
R443-6U.jpg (27.76 KB, 232 downloads)