Originally Posted by douglasfir
Curious about an option for carrying a handgun (likely a S&W K frame revolver) in the woods - hunting, fishing, etc. I go back and forth on the HPG Kit Bag - I know a couple of LEO's who use them and I know they're a popular choice for concealed carry (although they aren't exactly discreet). I am concerned by slow access to the handgun compared to something like a Gunfightersinc Kenai kydex chest holster. The Kit Bags also look like they'd be super hot and sweaty in all but cold weather. Anyone here with experience with both products?

Pondering how to answer. I think the kit bag is fine for smaller and lighter guns. So far as discreet, no different than a fanny pack holster. People in the know are going to know you're packing, people not in the know won't have a clue. I have a number of chest holsters. They are for guns that won't fit in anything but the very largest of kit bags. N frame S&Ws and Ruger Super Blackhawks. I'm not concerned about open carry in the places I'd want the .44s and .454. Where I do need discreet, there are better ways that a kit bag to carry. I can imagine there might be a situation where I'd carry a pack with a waist belt and a small gun but I can't think of where it would be.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...