Originally Posted by Remington40x
I had (but have since sold) a 1930s Stevens 416 target rifle (for which I paid essentially $0, having purchased it with a Redfield Model 3200 24x scope for the price of the scope) that would average 0.51" for ten 5-shot groups at 50 yards with ammo it liked. Given that I'm an abominable bench rest shooter (my technique would have to improve substantially to suck), I thought it an extremely accurate rifle, particularly given its age.

The Remington 40x single shot which replaced it would average 0.37" for the same ten 5-shot groups at 50. And as you might imagine, that 40x cost a bunch more than that 416 and scope combination - in a range of $30/0.01 inch improvement.

I saw an old Steven's target model yesterday. It's one of those that haunts you. I am thinking about going back and buying it. I know it is going to be a "shooter". Probably damn accurate. Nice old rifle with a lot of character. Don't know what model it is, but it is set up with target irons at the moment. I don't need it, but at $279 it is a great deal. Probably made in the 50's, if I were to guess its vintage. Now, getting your azz whipped with an old rifle like that is always an eye opener. To me, that would be a fun rifle if I were in the OP's shoes, but I like sleepers and old rifles like that..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA