kamo gari;
Good evening my old friend, I hope that the weather's been good for you folks and you're both well - and the pets as well of course.

When the girls started hunting all those years ago, I needed to find a way to both watch how steady they were, watch the animal being shot and assist them in getting off a good shot - not necessarily in that order.

My solution was to make up a tripod much like the African model you spoke of, which is to say 3 dowels, sharpened at one end and held together by a leather lace.

Eventually that evolved into 3 tapered pieces of hickory, sharpened and held with a fairly heavy rubber O-ring.

I used it as a walking stick when we were stalking, when we weren't it sat on the back window of the pickup. That was how the length was decided by the way - exactly what fit on the back seat of the pickup - under the back window.

In use it was silly fast to get in action.

With it, they pulled off some mighty precise shots Leighton - for kids or seasoned adults.

I've personally tried 2 legs while chasing coyotes and while I hate to contend with Roger, I found the 3rd leg to be a game changer - for me - for us.

Oh, lastly I guess, we'd just slide that O-ring up or down as far as we needed and then plant the sharp ends in whatever dirt/sand/Okanagan rocks we were going to shoot from.

The left hand of the shooter held the three sticks where they were crossed, the rifle fore end sat nice and still and stuff died - repeatedly.

Sorry I have no recommendation for a commercial unit however.

Hopefully that was at least somewhat useful for you or someone out there perhaps taking out new shooters this fall.

All the best to you folks my friend and good luck on all your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"