Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have hunted my whole life in griz country, in 4 different states. I won’t go scratch one’s nuts but I also don’t worry too much about them. Just be cognizant and never let your guard down.

I don’t carry spray, even when bow hunting. I have never had an issue though I have had quite a few encounters and they will humble you, as to how close they can be without you knowing they’re around.

I have had them steal meat a number of times but I have never felt I was in immediate danger in those situations. Just use your head and try to stay calm.

Not being worried and going into the woods unprepared as you have stated won’t buy you a pass from a grizzly. Of course there are thousands of people that have shared the woods with grizzlies and never had an encounter.

I don’t care who you are, when you come across this in the woods…

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You had better get smart and be worried, because this isn’t bear sign, this is a bear meat locker that means he isn’t far off and he isn’t going to run from you, he is going to run at you and you won’t win that battle….

I just got bluff charged last month when I happened upon a griz that had a caribou cached. Luckily I wasn’t too terribly close…maybe 50 yards but it was close enough. By the time I got off my horse and pulled the rifle out ASAP he was long gone. Call me a liar but I kept eye contact despite my heart rate and he veered off about 15 yards away. I suspect it was the same boar I ended up killing a few days later a few miles away.

Had a brownie at 25 yards on Afognak a few years back that claimed my buddy’s Roosevelt elk carcass. Stay calm and use your head. No problem. He had his 5 star meal and didn’t give a damn about us but we sure weren’t going to fight him for it.

Use your head and there is rarely an issue. Sometimes there is nothing you can do of course but those are rare situations. The same could be said about wandering the streets of Bozeman with all the weirdo druggies there.

Great story, maybe you should write books for children…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]