Background and links:

G.A. Precision (GAP) rifle in 6.5 PRC

Rifle:

Defiance Machine Ruckus GA Hunter (XM Length, 20 MOA integral Picatinny rail)
Manners Composite Stocks EH1 with adjustable cheekpiece, custom camo (thanks, Tom smile )
Bartlein Barrels 24-inch #4 Bull, 1-7.75 twist, carbon-wrapped
Hawkins Precision bottom metal
TriggerTech Diamond trigger
Atlas Bipod Model BT46-LW17

Optics:

[Linked Image]
Full weight mode
Vortex Optics RAZOR HD Gen II 4-27x56
Burris Optics XTR Signature Rings (34mm)

[Linked Image]
Lightweight Mode
Vortex Optics RAZOR HD LHT 3-15x42
Vortex Precision Matched Rings (30mm)

Load Development (what's that?):

To take full advantage of the Ruckus' 3.1-inch mag length, I had George Gardner at GAP throat this chamber for the Berger Bullets 6.5mm 156-grain EOL Elite Hunter. The fine folks at Berger were very generous in supplying me with bullets. Many thanks.

When the rifle arrived, most other components were scarce, but I was able to get my hands on some Hornady brass. The folks at Vihtavuori Smokeless Powders kindly provided some N565 High Energy Powder. And last, but certainly not least, our own shortactionsmoker (Darrik) at Whittaker Guns scrounged up some Federal 210M primers and sent them my way.

With hunting season pressing, a quick Satterlee ladder test generated a nice accuracy node at ~2935 ft/sec. I duped the dummy round provided by George for my OAL, loaded up some virgin Hornady brass with some charges bracketing my accuracy node, and hit the range.

I guess at this point, pictures are worth thousands of words, so:

[Linked Image]
First day after ladder test, 100-yard groups (.2 grain increments, FWIW).

[Linked Image]
First-day 200-yard group at accuracy node.

So, yeah. I was pretty much done with load development. George took all the fun out of it. smile

I took the rifle (in lightweight mode) on a Coues deer hunt with our own GregW, who had all his i's dotted and t's crossed, as usual. Alas, I was too slow getting over to and setting up at a shooting spot before a pretty good Coues deer buck followed the shadows around a knob and out of sight. We passed on a much smaller buck the last afternoon. The rifle remains unblooded.

INTERMISSION

Sooooo ... now we're getting on to the 2022 season, I actually drew a tag, and lo and behold the fine folks at Lapua got some of their very fine 6.5 PRC brass into my hands. I figured what the heck, George can't lock down ALL load development, so I went to the range Friday with a few goodies to shoot, including a Satterlee ladder test in virgin Lapua brass for the GAP. I set up and ... well, again here's a picture:

[Linked Image]
That's a 6-shot ~2.25-inch group at 300 yards while conducting Satterlee test. cool

So, I tinkered with POI a bit and shot a final group at 300 yards:

[Linked Image]

Sub .5-MOA. George wins. smile

Hopefully, there will be more to come as the season progresses ...

Postscript: Things I'd do differently -

1] Really none, because at the time of building, there was no XM-length AICS-based DBM unit available. But, that.
2] Even with a 20 MOA rail, this rifle required heaps more in order to approach the bottom of the big Vortex's elevation travel. So, I'd still opt for the Burris XTRs, but I gotta say, the Burris badging on the 34mm rings is rather loud.
3] It turned out I did not need the adjustable comb/cheekpiece unit on the Manners stock. It doesn't bother me, but I could have done without it.

Last edited by RickBin; 09/27/22.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine