The only experience I've had with the early Ballistic Tips as with the 7MM 140 gr. bullet. Worked up a very accurate load for my 7MM Mauser M70 FWT running a hair over 2800 FPS with W760. I shot a Mule Deer buck and hit the shoulder. It looked like the bullet blew up on the shoulder bone. Just not sure if it actually penetrated into the vitals. When got to look for the deer that ran down into a gulley, I blew my left knee and couldn't go any farther. My son in law and his son refused to go look for the deer and dragged me off the hill. I haven't hunted with them since. I'm thinking of pulling the bullets and downloading them closer to factory levels as they'll still be moving fast enough for the distances I prefer shooting. Truth be told, I'l most likely just use them on paper and not worry about how explosive they may be.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE