It would be interesting to know how many whitetails and mule deer we killed with the early 125 gr. BT out of the .308 Win and the 165 BT out of either a .308 Win or .30-06. With the 125 gr. .308 Win loads they were loaded down as my brother and I started deer hunting when we were 12. I started winding them up as I got older and eventually had them moving around 3000 fps and they were deer hammers. 165 gr. BT is all that we used on deer for the last 15 years that dad was hunting. He and I shot the same .30-06 load - 57 gr. IMR 4350 and MV of 2800ish fps. Killed my farthest deer shot with that 165 gr. out of a .308 Win that started out at 2700 fps. 583 yards and dad was just shaking his head when I said I was going to shoot that deer. I can recall recovering a lot of green tips in the entry wound, but I can't think of any that we recovered from game. If I could use a .30 cal on deer in Iowa I would still be using them to kill deer.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile