Originally Posted by ingwe
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I might have to try a mag primer...I'm shooting the stuff in a .243 and all is good...accuracy, velocity etc but it just seems pretty sooty.I bought a batch because I couldn't find any IMR or H 4350 for months, so I'll have no problem using it up!

Tom,

Two comments:

1)It's not Accurate Arms (AA) 4350, and hasn't been since Western Powders bought Accurate Arms maybe 15 years ago. AA often bought surplus powders, both military and otherwise, but Western started getting all the powders produced to their standards. At that point they became much more consistent.

2) I noticed in a recent thread that you use 39 grains of one of the other 4350s with 100-grain bullets in the .243--which is a slight underload. That wouldn't matter with those two powders, but my experience with Accurate 4350 is that it's considerably slower burning, almost like H4831. If you're using 39 grains of A4350, then the reason its burning dirty might be too-low pressure. If so, I would first up the powder charge before switching to a magnum primer.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck