Rick,

Well, yeah!

Part of the deal here is that Campfire members average around 65-70 years old, which has been demonstrated by some informal surveys over the years. This is the generation that grew up when the MAGIC in big game cartridges was due to increasing muzzle velocity--which is why they argue about 100 fps in MV, and also firmly believe in older cartridges that supposedly get another 100 fps, or whatever. Which of course was supposed to provide more "killing power" at any range, even when the difference dwindled to much less than 100 fps way out there, where such rounds were supposed to work their magic.

But such cartridges often resulted in powder problems--especially when the shooters insist on using older powders they grew up with. Yet they still believe there's always a solution, somewhere--even when they've beaten their head against all of this for years.

Of course, you and I are from the same generation, but I eventually lost interest in beating my head against a dead horse. Which is why after considerable experimentation I tend to use more "friendly" rounds, whether the .270 Winchester or 6.5 PRC.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck