I don't know about other old dinosaurs, but surprisingly after 40 yrs of aperture rear...I find myself getting better groups with leaf sights, wide and deep with lots of light spilling around the edges, mounted well forward on the barrel, and a great big front post similar in dimension to the M14. IOW, something very similar to a Patridge pistol sight pattern or the old "California Sights" found on muzzle loaders built in the 1840's, 50's and 60's. Combining that with a high contrast Vee target, I can reach a level of precision suitable for evaluating load development. Might be worth a try if you are having trouble...you need not modify the rifle just to see if it will work for you...one of those neonidium magnets makes a quick and dirty sight base with a little JB weld to hold a leaf in place and a blob on the front sight to file to custom width with a dead true flat rear face. Under ideal light and dead calm I am getting fairly consistent, maybe 40% chest size hits at 600 yards with cast bullets in a trapdoor (never exactly the benchresters first choice of rifles).

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.