Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Barkoff
OK So I want to sight in at 100 yds, so I set the bead for the bottom of the bullseye at 100yds, but still want the shot to hit the center of the bullseye?

No. If you are sighting in for 100 yards put your target at 100 yards, put your bead at 6 o'clock, adjust rear sight until your shots land at 6 o'clock on the bullseye not center of bullseye. Hits on the paper higher than that will coincide with being zero'ed for longer distances.

This was done with a scoped rifle at 200 yards, but the principle is the same. The point of aim is the bottom of the bullseye, and the point of impact is just above the point of aim. Comme ça:

[Linked Image]

That may be a six o'clock hold on a black dot type target, but when guys talk about using a 6 o'clock hold, they are generally talking about a target with an X ring in the center of the target. What you are showing is a poa/poi sight in. With irons it is much easier to hold at the edge of the black, where it meets the white at the bottom of the black bullseye. Some guys will leave a sliver of white between the front post and the black too, which is sometimes easier for me to do it that way. Target shooters came up with the term and they generally want to hit the center of the black bull. This is how my 6.5x55 swedish mauser does with a 6 o'clock hold:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

AR15 A2 with six o'clock hold:

Other forms of irons, such as what I run on one of my AR's does not require a 6 o'clock hold. They have an aperture on both the front and rear, much like a target 22 does. Center hold on target, POA matches POI just like your target posted above:

Since you are showing a scoped rifle at 200 yards, this works too, but there's no reference for an aiming point:

When I was taught to shoot irons, I was taught to hold dead on if you are shooting game. That is what you are doing as well, but you are using the bottom of the black circle as your aiming point. I grew up shooting flies with iron sights.

Originally Posted by Calhoun
Six o'clock hold...

[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]
Originally Posted by mathman
That's not the desired effect in the present conversation.
Please don't tell me you are a democrap. You are trying to change the meaning of 6 o'clock hold to further your agenda. Calhoun is spot on with the true definition of 6 o'clock hold. No need to try to confuse anyone here..

C'mon you guys, don't confuse the OP. What you're showing is absolutely true when the goal is scoring points in a competition, not when the goal is putting one's shots exactly where the front sight is indicating. Do you really want to have to consider bullet impact above point of aim when drawing down on a deer 80 yards away on opening day morning? Especially if precision shot placement is critical?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty