Originally Posted by shrapnel
This may seem like a sacrilege to some but I don’t believe Jimmy Stewart belongs in that group. He always sounded like he was talking with a mouth full of spit and wasn’t really believable in most of his character portrayals. As the doctor in the shootist however, he did a great job there.

Robert Mitchum isn’t worthy of the top 10 either. Bruce Dern was easily the best bad guy in all those westerns. He deserves a place much more than Mitchum.

Duvall without a doubt should be in the top three. It’s too bad that Lonesome Dove wasn’t a movie. Duvall should have gotten an Academy award for his portrayal of Gus.

I agree. And where's Joel McCrea? Burt Lancaster doesn't belong either. Robert Mitchum was a great actor, but I associate him more with film noir, which he practically owned. And what about Ben Johnson; the greatest actor to ever swing a leg over a horse (but not a leading man, I get it). I have to agree about Bruce Dern, never saw a movie he was in where I didn't hate him. Henry Fonda doesn't belong, either.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry