I've had several FA 83's over the years starting in the late '80s - early '90s when they could be had for around $1k. Shot them alot back then but moved away from them for a number of years.

In 2009, I was passing through Post Falls, ID and Cabelas had a used FA 83 premiere grade 454 with Leupold 2x scope in the box. The box was oversized to fit the scope and appeared to have been ordered that way from the factory. They had it marked at $1200 and the same revolver w/out scope I'd been seeing priced at around $1700 at the time. The price seemed to good to be true so I bought it and haven't regretted it. I did have FA shorten the barrel from 7.5" to 6" and like it even better.

As others have said, the workmanship is unmatched and the price reflects it. I wouldn't pay the going rate for a new one, but if the right deal come along on a good used one, I'd jump on it.

I don't shoot full power 454 loads anymore. 300 - 350 gr cast bullets around 1100 fps is about tops for me. If I feel the need for more, I'd much rather shoot my 5 shot Ruger Bisly 480 grin