Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by BigDogBoogie
I expected more people to try to offset the cost of meat with hunting this year but I haven't heard many shots in my area.

Maybe the cost of hunting ammo slowed things down as well.

I can buy a lot of beef for what I spend hunting every year. And beef is 100% success rate. LOL
I put six deer in the freezer last season and spent less than 200.00 including license/tags, gas and cartridges.

I guess it just depends and where/why/what.
On our place we've killed as many as 10 deer in a year[100+/- acres] and you wouldn't even know we were hunting them.
When our son was at college and living off campus venison WAS his protein.
He'd come home and kill 1-2 every weekend, cut, pack and take back as much as he had freezer room for along with enough to make jerky around the clock for he and friends.
Yeah, it would have cost me less than that but I went to camp a few times, which is an hours drive away. I have 326 acres of private land right out the back door to hunt, plus thousands of acres of State land just a couple miles up the road so kill most of mine close to home. Hunting and wild game meat doesn't have to cost a fortune. In fact, it can be very economical if you hunt close to home and don't think you need to buy a new rifle every time you pick up eggs or milk and shoot up 40,000 rds. of centerfire ammo every year.