Originally Posted by dogwater
The bullets are 459. I don't believe it was position. I think if I upped the charge/velocity it might move a bit lower.

5744 hits a sweet spot and anything above and anything below isn't going to shoot well. You probably need to spend a bit of time load testing. But given the range report you have a load that will suffice for hunting as is if you don't have time to do a bit more testing. And you may never get that a 405 grain bullet to shoot real well some rifles are just like that.

Bill Bagwell and I talked a lot, I forget now what size needle file he used to open the notch on the Shiloh barrel sight, but as this rifle is used someone may have already done it.
We talked a lot about the front sight thing too. I did make a couple of penny fronts, but when it comes to crunch time and slogging around in the snow storm and that 30 inch mule deer buck stands up at 100 yards and you can't pick that penny up I suppose the time it would take to rub you coat sleeve off won't make much difference cuz he'll be doing the basketball dribble hop over the ridge and gone anyway. Same with still hunting the dark timber and elk... Penny fronts look cool and do work for some things, but my experience says a silver or brass blade gives better results..

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com