Sorry, but a child of three could study that concept and see that it’s fraught with peril, and not just the BCs. The kind that thread into the tube are worse. I had an 8x56 Hawke Endurance 30 that was pretty nice, and came with very nice thread-in aluminum caps, even came with little tools to install them. Tried it once, and it was a little tricky due to the fine threads, and I wasn’t crazy about dinking around with all that anodized metal next to 18-layer multi-coating, but I endeavored to persevere and got them on. Then I read the fine print which said, “DO NOT SHOOT WITH COVERS INSTALLED”. Seems you could put your eye out, Kid. WTF? I went through all that and have to undo it so I can shoot safely?

I have some BCs, now carefully stored in a drawer, so I won’t be tempted to use them. My vision is such that I need just a little correction at distance, and now most of my scopes stay focused for my vision wearing glasses. In the field however, glasses get fogged in cool weather, and I often have to remove them for a time and adjust the focus on my optics accordingly. Guess what that means with hard covers. With some Burris models, even changing the magnification means you have to adjust the rear cover.

Bikini covers are okay, but I’ve left them lying on the trail more than once, mostly Leupold (some would suggest I should’ve left the scope in them when I dropped them) and when you take them off, they’re another POS to put in a pocket and rattle around or fall out when you reach for something else. I do like them okay for storage and transportation in cases. That leaves neoprene covers, and those are my choice, especially the ones with tethers that keep you from losing them. They fold up nicely for for pocket carry, are less likely to fall out when you pull out your hanky, and don’t rattle. They also are more flexible for use on multiple scopes.

Trijicon includes both see-though bikini covers and neoprene covers, along with a lens pen, with their scopes.

What fresh Hell is this?