This is a good thread, YoungHunter. Thanks. Everyone has a favorite fly or two that just seem to get the job done for them most of the time. Their own personal "go to" patterns.<P>I've been doing a lot of driftboating on the South Fork of the Snake, the Madison and the Yellowstone the last two seasons (Yeah, I know - "Poor me!"). An elk hair caddis tied fairly heavy is a consistent producer on these waters. In small sizes, it passes for a mayfly, and doesn't have the flotation problems you can experience in big water with the traditional thread body and feather wing flies. In big sizes, bumped against the bank, it can pull the bank feeders looking to nail a hopper. <P>In the riffles and side channels, it's hard to beat a PMD most of the time. That's true on small waters, too. PMD hatches come off all season - they just get smaller as the season progresses. <P>For the all-around nymph I nominate...the hare's ear. It's the do-it-all nymph. <P>For tubing, I get a ton of mileage out of the maribou leech in assorted colors, including some that bear no resemblance to anything living. A pain to tie, but a producer. <P>I can and do use many other patterns - tying your own really sets you free - but this simple arsenal works for me most of the time.<P>Good post, YoungHunter. It's interesting to hear about what works for others in different parts of the country. <P>greggun <P> <P>