Originally Posted by SS336
Originally Posted by Bristoe
That's an extremely cool Krag. You should explore the wonderful world of cast bullets in that rifle. The long neck of the 30-40 Krag cartridge is perfect for cast bullets.

These look like a good bet. I'd load them with H4895 to a velocity of about 1850 fps,...magnum primers to insure that the relatively light load gets ignited properly.

https://www.xtremebullets.com/30-Cal-165gr-RNFP-Cowboy-p/x30-165rnfpc-b0500.htm

You need to come up with a die that would put a slight flare on the mouth of the case to keep from shaving lead when you seat the bullet. Other than that, it's a fairly straight forward process.

I have some cast bullets a friend made me and was going to try them. But it shoots factory and my hand loads with 180 BT and 4350 so well I never worked up a load. With hand loads, even with the peep sights, I can get it to shoot around an inch most days.
I have been in the deer woods with it but no luck. Maybe the deer are afraid of it. 😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That's definitely a very tasteful Krag. My compliments.

Still, I'd have to see how H4895 works with it. The case capacity and the pressure level of the Krag cartridge seems perfect for H4895.

I looked for a Krag to shoot cast bullets in for a long time. I could never find an original with a bore good enough to tolerate cast bullets.

What kind of barrel does that one of yours wear?