Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Yes, a tiny victory, we are happy about this, but in a way, we shouldn't be really. Turning free speech into a popularity contest? The masses get to vote who gets free speech? To me, I interpret this as Musk still doesn't understand a constitutional republic, and how it protects the unpopular as well as the popular. If you don't get my point...how about a popular vote, pure democracy, deciding on the 2nd Amendment? With the generations succeeding the boomers, Mil,X, Y, Z, voting en mass, chances are we'd lose. Imagine a popular vote on slave reparations in the days after George Floyd. It would have passed.

In my mind, what is bad is we have twisted the definitions of words so much that it is expected a private enterprise is to be the granter of free speech.

Free speech is totally a restriction on the government and we have morphed it to being every private entity can not restrict anything. Totally not what the founders had in mind.
You make a good point Cheesy, and you are legally right. It's Musk's business, he gets to say how it's run. But since the the Vietnam war, the media and journalism are no longer "the fourth branch of govt" as envisioned by the founders...being this country's whistleblowers and truth tellers. The 'Communications Decency Act of 1996" lets social media restrict speech and generally be exempt from the 1st Amendment. Do you smell fish? I do. The founders could not have envisioned the total collapse of journalistic ethics.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.