Last winter, I had a job that was outside for about 3-4 hours off the Denali Highway just east of Cantwell. It was -47 if the truck thermometer can be believed. I was wearing the stuff I mentioned above with the down puff jacket and shell etc. I had my authentic purchased in beautiful Eek, AK seal skin hat, with a neoprene face mask (winds were maybe 10-15?).

The only part that was really cold was my hands since I needed to use them with dexterity… once they get cold, there’s no way to really warm them up again (armpits aren’t a option when wearing all that stuff). You also start to notice all those scars on your hands that you forgot about since they start hurting first.

Also, individual tolerance is huge… last week, -12 felt cold because it’s the beginning of winter. By spring, I’ll probably just wear a hoodie if it’s above 0 lol.

Years ago, when I was in Iraq, I switched to the night shift near the end of my tour (Iraq is exactly 12 hours out from AK)… so I worked from 7pm to 7am. At about midnight or so, I went outside for a smoke break, and as the breeze picked up, I got chills, and sat on my hands. I looked up at the thermometer, and it was over 90 degrees. I’d just gotten used to 110+ and 90 felt cold.

If I were you, I’d wait till you get up there and buy what everyone else who does the same thing has.

Last edited by LoadClear; 11/22/22.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.