I am big on woolrich Malone Bibs and Woolrioch Alaskan wool shirts on top of poly pro long underwear, if really cold a layer of fleece 1/4 zip with high collar between long underwear and the heavy wool shirt. Match the weight of the underwear to the temp, polypro usually comes in 3 weights. I have always been a fan of wool for cold weather and have rarely found the need for more water protection in cold weather as the snow shakes and brushes off with ease. I would wear raingear when using a chainsaw to make through ice beaver sets, really wet work and kind of cold.

For a jaclet I have a couple of Filson Cruisers jackets, uninsulated anoraks for a wind break over the alaskan on a warm day with heavy wind. As you can probably tell I am a grand fan of layering and matching what I wear to the day include activity level in the . I used to wear wool balaclavas on cold days but have switched to polypro as they feel a lot better against my skin and wash up easier in a sink and are dry in the AM.

I have to admit I really like my insulated hooded Carhart jacket as the thing is just warm and will never pick up a sticker in the brush.

I have found great deals on the malones and alaskans lately on ebay as I would not want to buy them new if I can find them, good wool wears like iron as long as they weren't worn by a careless smoker.

That works for me, although not wintering in AK I have spent a lot of time in northern MN, and Ontario in the winter and gets a little brisk here, not Fairbanks cold but cold.