Otto1217;
Good afternoon my old cyber friend, I trust the weather is behaving a few valleys east and you're well.

If I'm not mistaken, when I was still in school in the '70's there still wasn't agreement among Canadian archeologists/historians that the Vikings had been here at all. What piqued my personal interest in it was the Farley Mowat paperback "Two Against the North" which had a wee bit about the boys finding some Viking artifact if memory serves.

I've still got that book someplace actually and should re-read it - if the print is big enough that is. I've got an Andy Russell paperback that has some sort of microfiche printing in it and every time I attempt reading it I am forced to stop.

In another book I read somewhere in my misspent youth or misplaced memory, we can take our pick I suppose, I read there were anecdotes that fishermen from places like Ireland and perhaps as far south as Portugal were more than a little miffed when Columbus told everyone about their secret fishing grounds, which is conceivably truth if not totally so I'd guess?

One time in a discussion with a prairie born and raised cousin who turned out to have a passion for sailboats, he opined that sailors the world over had been pretty much everywhere since the beginning of time. I want to say he said leaving port and then getting back to land were generally the most dangerous times for sail boats, but again I might not be correct about that. As stated many times, I prefer a rough horse to a smooth boat any day please and thanks, so things nautical are not personally familiar whatsoever.

It does make for some interesting reading and wondering as to how close history as we're told it today is to what really happened, you know?

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"