Originally Posted by Otto1217
Farley, used to come out to a private bookstore run by ba friend of mine in Coquitlam, some 30 years ago, when I lived there. He was an obnoxious, loudmouthed drunk and was not re-invited. His writings do not compare with those of Hemingway and his war reminices are worthwhile, but, the rest of it is crap.

There are several sites in northern and eastern Canada, some dating from the 9thC which prove the Viking presence in this land prior to any other Euro. peoples. The legend the Scots Earl who landed before the Cabot's or Henry Hudson, has been largely discounted, however, work is still being done on these questions.

I was not specifically talking about their writing styles.

The comparison I am drawing between Hemmingway and Farley, is the fact that they were both writers, both worked in Canada, both had wartime experiences, both were severely depressed people, both were heavy duty alcoholics, and both were successful writers albeit Hemmingway was way more successful than Farley.

The major difference is that Hemmingway blew his brains out with his favorite shotgun when he was 61, Farley lived until he was 92.

Cheers ~ KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/24/22.

KB