Originally Posted by aheider
I was looking at their website the other day and surprised to see most, if not all, of their current production models over 900.00. Anyone think the new versions are worth that kind of money?

The CVA Optima (western version) might be a more cost effective option. Other manufactures/models to consider?

Andy

Nope, and I own one. I bought a Knight Mountaineer around 2 years ago. .50 caliber, bare 209 primer. It seems to be very welll made. It's supremely accurate and has a great Timney trigger. The downside is that it's 8 1/2 lbs unloaded with no accessories. Add a rail, scope and sling and you are well over 9 lbs. The stock sucks. It's big, thick, and has a large flat surface on the underside that makes carrying it a chore. Shooting off a rest is fine. Carrying it around in the woods is no fun at all. (I wish I had gotten the Ultralight and maybe I'd like it more.) The real downside is getting a primer in. It's takes a bare primer. The primer has to be inserted into a slot on the bolt face and it ain't easy. Knight makes a sort of Y-shaped capper for it, but one you have a scope on it, the capper doesn't work well. The easiest way is to take the bolt out completely, insert the primer, and then reinsert the bolt. Mine, along with 4 1/2 10oz bottles of Blackhorn 209 powder, is presently up for sale at my gun club.

All in all, it's a welll made, nice looking, good shooting gun that is way too heavy and over engineered to the point of being annoying. Break open muzzleloaders are simply a better design.

I also own a Traditions Pursuit XT .50. It's way lighter, handier, almost as accurate, and much, much easier to cap. I have a musket cap breach plug and firing pin, as well as a 209 breech plug and firing pin for it. It's not scoped but has decent Williams metal fiber optic sights. I much prefer it to the Knight.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 11/26/22.