Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
You'll be shooting at a 21 MOA target (2.55" head diameter at 12 yards) so pin point accuracy isn't the top requirement. (Pin point, get it? smile )

Any .22 semi-auto that's in good working order will work. If the rules call for open sights then a longer barrel would obviously be better for the longer sight radius but a consistent trigger squeeze will be more advantageous in competition than a knat's hair more accuracy, so a decent trigger is probably the main criterion that you'd want to look at in the equipment.

That's where a 10/22 might stand out from others since the trigger pull can be improved in a variety of ways, from cheap up to the sky's the limit.

If'n it were me I'd use the excuse to get a 10/22 LVT, 'cause, ya know, any excuse for a new rifle is a good excuse...

Good reasonable post Jim. I have to ask the op, though, are they shooting at the butt end (2.75" actually) or the body, which is 4.75" wide (approximately 41 moa)? I'm not too sure why they cut the top of the pin off? Generally when we shoot pins with pistols, you just set the pin at the backside of the table, so the 22lr will have enough energy to knock the pin off the table. A well hit pin only requires 1 shot to take it cleanly off the table. We shoot at 13 yards with our pistols, so pin point accuracy is not required, but with all games it is nice to have a good shooting weapon. It gives you an edge. Here are some pins I shot with my pistol to show what kind of accuracy I get at the distance we shoot:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That was 13 yards with my medium bore ( I use 9mm or 40S&W), pins set at the middle of the table.

The accuracy of my 22lr pistols, at that distance are about equal to that. So, with a very accurate weapon, you can afford to be a little more sloppy as you speed up in a head to head type competition. As with anything, there is a fine line there. You can run on the ragged edge and not miss, resulting in some damn good times (for me, that is about 2 seconds). Or you can go too fast, above your skill level and lose or miss the targets. The op's shoot sounds like it would be fun. Also wondering if they limit mag capacity in this shoot. Sometimes my club will limit us to 5 rounds per mag, but you can reload a mag if you need to. The better shooters don't reload and will hit all 5 pins. We do this sometimes when a guy wants to bring his revolver out and give it a try. Anymore info the OP can add? Anyone here have a video of the pin shoots they attend? One thing I've noticed is you find out what works and what doesn't work. That goes for firearms. I've seen many pistols get all choked up, as well as their owners. It's always fun though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA