Originally Posted by 260Remguy
The discontinued Marlin 60s have a good reputation for out of the box accuracy.

When Marlin was still in business I recommended the 60s for the guy who wanted to buy it and shoot it and the 10/22 for the guy who wanted to spend more money to upgrade it and chase smaller groups.

One of our sons bought a model 60 and was happy with it. He just added a home made sling and was off hunting rabbits and ground squirrels with it out of the box. I listened to his advice and bought a model 60 with a laminated stock at Walmart for $160 normal price. I did add a low end scope I had around and bought a low end sling for it and off we went to shoot and hunt.

There is a simplicity with the model 60 as it is a "buy it and shoot it" rifle. Simple plain and enjoyable.

I have built many 10/22's with restocking them and adding match grade barrels and found them to be a delight when shooting or hunting. I was able to work on the triggers in those rifles and the final product was a very accurate rifle with a lifetime of shooting ahead for it. Those 10/22's will group extremely well with premium ammo and the group sizes are about a 1/3 of the group sizes with the model 60.

HOWEVER, I never really bought the model 60 for it's accuracy, which is ok for hunting purposes, but rather like a trip back to the teen years of simply having a 22lr rifle to take out hunting and enjoying it.

A model 60 should serve the OP well at the distances he will be shooting......if he can find one. I would think that since they have been discontinued those that own them are less likely to sell. Good luck