Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by CCCC
Back around 1971 when doing some tuning/wrenching and some driving for a buddy with a couple of race cars, and also looking and hoping to buy a Corvette, another prof at the college invited me to drive his newer 911S on some of those winding up and down roads in the foothills west of town. WoW. For a "factory" car, that thing handled like it was on rails and was a screamer - am thinking it had 4 Webers - and have forgotten the cu. ins. Made me a Porsche believer in 15 minutes. Have been fortunate to have driven a few more fast ones since - mostly on track - but never have owned one.
Paul, I have been a Car and Driver subscriber for years and over the last ten or so they get bashed for being Porsche whores. Beyond just well balanced performance the best write I can recall of late was along the lines "it just seems what they do was done by one brilliant engineer/designer that did not have to meld multiple engineers/designers work into one". I really think you would enjoy driving my Boxster. Very easy to drive fast and 3.6 second 0-60 times, sub-12 seconds for the quarter mile and near 30 mpg is pretty neat. My wife keeps it out of sport mode and it like driving a Honda...
/
Ed, thanks. I know I would enjoy running your "B". Many years ago, my soninlaw in MN prepared and raced a 928 with his Porsche club and I drove/raced that car a couple of times up at Brainerd and once at Elkhart Lake. Also ran his fairly new Boxster 986 on the track - simply excellent little balanced package. I also heard some alarming engine noise at heavy load - he soon had Porsche correct that and then immediately sold it. Memory is faint, but I think it was an endemic problem with a back end bearing not fully hardened or not getting lube, and heard of quite a few cases with that gen Boxster. Have you experienced such or is yours a later engine version? [Never mind - read that cite about your Boxster. Completely different mill. Beautiful car.]

Last edited by CCCC; 11/28/22. Reason: addition

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron