There is fellow about five miles form me that has a string of a pack and saddle donkeys. He sure enough packs and rides them with success and could put a lot of pact strings to shame comparing them. He usually gets them from the donkeys/burros that BLM sells and has them going in a year. He has made a darn good business in making and selling all kinds of tack and gear, and specializes in saddles for them. He makes some of the best panniers I ever seen and used. Mountain Ridge Gear is the name.

Breaking calves,colts, mules to lead can sure enough be done , and they make good sheep, cattle protectors. CPW is trying them out to protect cattle against wolves in Northern Colorado. I don't know how much success they are having though. They can be used and are good for a lot of other tasks.

Around the world, they are used more than mules and horses in the poorer countries. Here in Colorado, they were the animal of choice for tours up to Cripple Creek and Pikes Peak in the mid and late 1800's. Most of the prospectors during the gold rush days used them instead of horses and mules. In the days of equine use before tractors, there were more mules in the U.S. than horses and they were all made by breeding donkeys/burros to mares.

Most know about the cartoon character Peanuts. Charles Shultz was the creator. His daughter Merideth Hodges lives around Loveland, Colorado. She came to Colorado back in the 60's with a few good jennies and a jack from her mother's ranch in California. She built a business with them breeding quality mares for mules and selling off spring from the jenneys. A fellow has to dig into his pockets real deep in his pockets to pay the stud fee from one her jacks and darn sure more for one of her mules. If a fellow don't think they are good for much, he/she ought to watch Merideth in a dressage class with one of her jacks.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/30/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles