Originally Posted by joshf303
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have had many dozen's of hunting rifles over the last 35 years ( more than i can recall) and now I only buy rifles that have carbon wrapped barrels, I like the lightweight. A carbon wrapped barrel cools down 3x faster than a solid steel barrel does and that cut's my range time way down....Do I "need" my rifle to have a carbon wrapped barrel? No, but when is buying a new hunting rifle for loony's like us about "need".....good shooting...Hb

Have you actually weighed two barrels yourself and seen how many ounces you are “saving” going CF?

What about taking actual temps inside the bore…where the rubber meets to road?

Just curious…
I have never weighed individual barrels but I have weighed factory rifles for what thats worth. I had a Christensen Mesa FFT vs a Christensen Ridgeline FFT on the scales and the 20" carbon barrel Ridgeline FFT weighed 5.5 ounces less than the 20" lightweight barrel Mesa FFT. As far as conducting temperature tests on the inside of fired barrels sorry i have not, but i think it would make an interesting experiment. I base my faster cool down for the carbon wrapped barrels opinion on practical experience at the range and from a discussion i had with a Proof Reasearch CS guy, he claimed that proof research carbon wrapped barrels cool down 300% faster than conventional steel barrels do and i have no reason to dispute this claim as I have found I only need to wait 3-4 minutes between shots to hold tight groups when shooting one of my carbon wrapped barrel rifles vs i need to wait 8-10 minutes between shots when im shooting my Kimber Montana's or Tikka T3x Superlite rifles or groups will open up in a hurry. The Accuracy between a good steel barrel rifle vs a carbon wrapped barrel rifle in my range time has been equal, but the carbon barrels will shorten your range time significantly when your shooting for tight groups
......Hb